Wednesday 19 September 2012

Back to Work! Back to podcasts!

So, I've been good and booked my appraisal, I've recovered from last week and appearing in coroner's court to give evidence, now back to some learning!

There is a new series of Inside Health with dr mark Porter again, which I have missed the first few episodes of iver the summer. I cracked on with this weeks episode and squeezed in last weeks whilst cooking tea!

Worth it alone for the comments by Professor Alan Morice (ex Sheffield Consultant and a lecturer I remember well!) about treating non-acid reflux and cough- apparently PPis can make it worse not better, start with metoclopramide or domperidone instead!

Also pertinently after discussions at coroner's court last week an article about gallstones, prevalence, management and when cholecystectomy is necessary.

This reminds me of a lady I saw last week who had caught me shortly after the Eat Fast Live Longer Program we had discussed alternate day fasting as a way to loose weight, after her tries of standard low fat diet hadn't been successful. She was thrilled to have lost 3 kg in a month and had got her partner to chan§ge his diet too.

The second episode I listened to was from 11/9/12 and again excellent, discussing how to look at OA and how to discuss exercise/ conservative measures with patients. I had read about the new NICE guidance and read the ARC leaflet about ' wear tear and repair' but this podcast also addressed how to get the messages over to patients. Quietly political as ever, it also included a discussion with Lawrence Buckman of the GP council for the BM A about the appalling lack if funding for musculoskeletal services. Excellent all round!

No comments:

Post a Comment