Tuesday 20 November 2012

Diagnosing patient's preference

Is it just me, or did I miss something? The editorial with the above title in BMJ this month make me chuckle, then sigh and shake my head!

http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7745?etoc=

Surely this is what we spend our days in General Practice land doing already? I'm sure I was marked on it when I submitted videos for MRCGP nearly 10 years ago? Why are the words communication skills not used?

I particularly like the tantalising comments about the possibility of reducing costs by asking patients what they really want. I also liked the editorial comments about making the patient part of the team, making the decision together with clinicians.

I did, of course listen to the podcast and the authors seem very genuine and again, there is no mention of General Practice or any mention of communication skills training.

I guess if there is any change in secondary care as a result of these papers, that must be a good thing. I'm just amazed this is where they are at.

No comments:

Post a Comment