Monday 29 November 2010

Back to work looms

I've been to a proper sit down lecture for the first time for ages. It was about how to be a good OSCE examiner, but actually I got other things out of it.

The presenter had stepped in at last minute and although not fully knowledgable on the OSCEs we were involved in was a good presenter and I got some tips for how I can improve my presentation style (did the lecture 2 weeks ago and I really wasn't great)

Not sure I've learnt any more about how to be an examiner but have had a chance to bend the ear of the Head of Medical Education, Prof Nigel Bax and I. along with the other GP tutors/lecturers should get official University recognition- as hospital staff do.

Reflections- attending talks and events is invaluable to meet colleagues and make connections to improve what one does. What you think you are going to get out of a teaching event isn't always what you actually get!



Moving piece in the Guardian magazine at the weekend. Diary of a foster mum. I knew what a tough job they do, but to read the effects on the lady, her family and the children of the system was shocking. They have little support and regular upheavals which are emotinally and physically draining. Most harrowing was her descriptino of having a pair of twins who had disclosed sexual abuse to her and she had to let them go to unsupervised visits with the abusers, the parents. She recieved little support when she told the social worker what was going on despite repeat mentions from the children and disturbed behaviour by them.   


No comments:

Post a Comment